Monday, April 7, 2014

"This is the best thing I could possibly be doing right now..."

Remember how I said I wanted a portrait of myself? Well, I got it.
One of the members of our ward is an avid painter and did a portrait of each of the missionaries!
I really enjoyed conference. It was pretty heavy this time, wasn't it? A lot of really good talks, a lot of really powerful messages. None of the speakers left any room for thinking their message wasn't of the utmost importance. We haven't been able to watch the Sunday Afternoon session yet -- never do. It airs here around 9:00 PM, but I'll be downloading it so that we have the chance of listening to it throughout the week. So, needless to say, I missed President Packer's testimony... But yes, we'll catch up on it.

I think my two favorites would have to have been Elder Oaks talk in Priesthood session and Elder Bednar's during Sunday Morning. Really powerful messages to be proactive, take your load and share it with the Lord. I picked up so many needed answers from their talks. But man, did Saturday Morning Session scare you a little, too? All the talks were about facing trials and abuse, and holding on to the hope we have in Christ. I don't know what's coming...


The week has gone quite well. I had my first district meeting, and went on exchange with the Zone Leaders. They said they were quite impressed with how I handled the district meeting, which is good to hear. Luckily, the little duties of District Leadership haven't been to difficult or stressful. Really, the hardest part is helping the other missionaries. Not that it's terribly difficult figuring out how to handle situations -- prayer and counsel with the Zone Leaders and Elder Gull really help there. It's the stress that comes in not knowing that there's going to be a definitive answer to every question. But, oh well. I keep on.

As for the rest of your questions:
  • License is coming  along well, Elder Gull and I just got our provisionals, and we're scheduling our theory test today. Elder Gull got to drive while on exchange with the Zone Leaders... Lucky..  

  • Chichester has a baptism scheduled with Katie this Saturday. Jade may or may not make it. If not, no problem whatsoever. We'll do what we can to help her reach it when she reaches it.
  • The electric fence was no big deal... It was just a wire running by. It didn't hurt...too bad.
  • No, we didn't get to go up to the temple with Joss, but she really enjoyed the time she was able to spend up there, which is great. We might be going up with Jade this week, though.
 So excited to hear about Carter's mission call! Man, that guy's so solid.

And yes, I am very happy. You have to understand one thing about missionary work -- it is stressful. It's usually going to be stressful. But, I think Brady put it best in some advice he gave me before I left: "When you're on your mission, you're going to have days when no one wants to talk to you, when every door slams in your face, and when every single appointment you had cancels. But, [when you're obedient], you'll go to bed so happy that you were able to go out and work that day." The bracketed text is my own addition, but it's true. This is the best thing I could possibly be doing right now, and I am so happy to be able to do it.

Zone Conference...serious...
and, Zone Conference...silly...
Our mantle outfitted with beaver and rabbit hides and a fishing pole. Elder Gull is trying his best to turn me into a 'redneck.' We got the rabbit hides from the butcher, and I fleshed and tanned the one on the right, all by myself.

Elder Gull by the seaside on Hayling Island.

I love the rows of brightly colored beach huts on Hayling Island.
People own these and keep them stocked with all their 'beach stuff.' I wish they had these at Rincon!
Love you all,

- Elder Green

No comments:

Post a Comment