Monday, October 27, 2014

A "Missionary Moment"

London sky over the train station.
The week has been good. It's been hard, though. I still have a lot of decisions I'm trying to make for our district and area. It's led me to a ton of prayer and scripture study, which has actually given me tons of answers. But... the fruits aren't yet apparent. Which can be frustrating, for sure.

But, as for the work in the area, we've been seeing immense miracles. We've got this brilliant family that we're working with right now who are just so lovely. The father is from Nigeria, and is a member (though he hasn't been out for years), and the mother is from Uganda and isn't a member. However, she's really interested in joining the church. She loves the influence that it's had in her in-laws lives, and finds that she's feeling really good as she reads from the Book of Mormon. Elder Jackman and I taught them for the first time on exchange, and she said that it all made so much sense to her. It was brilliant.

We also taught a cool Jamaican guy named Peter. He was walking his bike home near Clapham Common, and was wearing this sweet bicycle helmet. It looked like one of those bobsledder helmets that extends to a point off the back of the head. Anyway, we helped him carry a table home, taught him in his house, and extended a baptismal commitment. He agreed, as well. It was interesting, because it was the first time that I was on my mission and felt like I had that stereotypical "missionary moment", where my companion and I were teaching in harmony, in this crowded little flat, with a guy we'd never met before. Unfortunately, he wasn't there for our next appointment, but we'll hopefully see him soon.

We also met an awesome French girl the Kennington Sisters are now teaching. She came to church this last Sunday and brought a friend, and absolutely loved it (even though the Gospel Principles lesson was on Chastity...).

Chicken gizzard and plantains for dinner!

It was so good exchanging with Elder Jackman. He's from San Diego, and he reminds me a ton of Taylor. We had a great time hanging out, playing guitar for people on the street, and chasing after foxes on our way back from Nando's.

A sign Elder Jackman and I saw while on exchange...I'm afraid I will think two years isn't enough!

And if that's not enough, I was super psyched this last Saturday. We had an appointment set up with Courage again, and brought along Angus Dick from the ward. He's in his mid-twenties, and is super cool. I was chatting with him about what he does for work, and he mentioned that he's a freelance animator. I said, "Alright, I know this is a longshot, but... You don't know a Jack Cunningham, do you?" "How the FLIP do you know Jack Cunningham?!" I guess they've done work together as animators. Such a small world. Anyways, Courage wasn't there, but we talked to his roommate for a while [mostly about his Ebola conspiracy theories (which are "not conspiracy theories, they're facts") and how they connect to the Malaysian flight that went down...], and it turns out that he's read the Book of Mormon 2-3 times, and used to be an investigator some four years ago. He was supposed to come to church with Courage yesterday, but didn't show up in the end...

Clapham Common Tube Station.




Anyhow, I love you guys so much. Happy Birthday Mom!!!

- Elder Braiden Green

No comments:

Post a Comment