Monday, July 15, 2013

Area 1: Newton Abbot...finally!

The last little while at the MTC was great. We had much fewer classes the last week, and spent most of our time studying and teaching our investigators. It was nice having that time for us to kind of work things for ourselves, as before the number of classes left us awfully drained. We committed both of our "investigators" to baptism. Unfortunately, it's not that easy out here in the field...

Fourth of July at the MTC was great. One of the chefs was really nice, and cooked us hot dogs with watermelon and potato salad--as close as he could get to an "American" meal. He also decorated with red white and blue everywhere, and made a big American flag cake. He followed the next day with fish and chips and British flags everywhere, but we didn't mind at all--we were too focused on the best fish and chips I've ever had in my life.

We had the opportunity to go to the Preston temple shortly after I emailed last P-day, and that was one of the best experiences I've ever had. I was able to sit the Celestial room for a long time, and I got so much out of it. I was talking to one man, and he told me that as missionaries, "We're called to live our lives exactly as Christ did." That really struck me, as we're really dedicating ALL of our time to doing just that: living as he did.


Preston England Temple


Transfer day we had to get up around 4:15 AM... It was a long day of travel. We had a 5 hour bus ride down to Staines, where I got to meet President and Sister Millar. They're fantastic. We were fed lunch there, and had interviews with President and his two counselors. After that, they had the official transfer part. I'm assigned to the Newton Abbot area, and my companion is Elder Schorzman, from Coeur d'Alene, ID. President said I was sent here partially because of my musical talents, and I can't believe how much that was true... The Senior missionaries, Elder and Sister McMurtry, were telling me about a musical fireside they have every six weeks, here, as they drove us home. Sister McMurtry is an incredible cellist, and she said they needed a lot more talent for the fireside. I mentioned I Giorni, because my companion had given them a Ludovico Einaudi CD to put in as we drove home. She said she'd work out a cello part. Not the next day, a less active member of the ward asked for her to play for her wedding. What song did she ask for? I Giorni. So incredible.

More and more keeps coming up too. I was needed for music time for Primary on Sunday. They've also had quite a hole in their bass section in the choir. Also, one of our investigators plays mandolin. And they need a guitarist for the musical fireside for a version of Come Thou Fount. Like, really? I can't believe it.

The area is beautiful. There are some woods right up from our flat, and Teignmouth, which is at the beach, is only a half hour bus ride. We've got two sisters in our ward as well: Sister Nelson and Sister Clark, both of which are from California. Sister Clark's just from down in Glendora.


Map of the areas in the London South Mission.
Newton Abbot is in the Plymouth zone (off-white area on left...look for the arrow.)

Mom's guessing (because I have not been labeling my pictures), but she thinks this is my companion,
Elder Schorzman, and our flat in Newton Abbot.

Teaching here is kind of tough... We've stayed awfully busy with teaching appointments, but a lot of visits have been cancelling on us. Some of those have led us to just the right people, though. I'm grateful for the spirits guidance. It's amazing how much I've been able to feel it here. I told the MTC president, it's like before my mission, I would receive answers in instances when I had questions, but now it's constant. It's fantastic.

Anyway, I must be off. We've got some shopping to do.

Love you all,

-Elder Green

P.S. Stonehenge is pretty... Depressing. It's only about 100 metres from the carriageway... We saw it as we drove down here. Oh well.


Stonehenge, from the car...unfortunately!


No comments:

Post a Comment